Stocking Hall Rehabilitation and Addition Cornell University | Ithaca, New York | 2015
Architects: Mitchell | Giurgola Architects, LLP.
Client: College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Cornell University
General Contractor: The Pike Company
Photographers: Jeff Goldberg/Esto
Cornell University’s nationally ranked Food Science program has been housed in Stocking Hall since its construction in 1921.
Nearly a century later, however, the 48,000-square-foot building and its single story extension no longer met the expanding needs of the University’s innovative Food Science program. The renovation of Stocking Hall and construction of a major new food science teaching and research addition create a new, integrated presence for Food Science on Cornell’s Ithaca campus.
The multiphase project includes the full renovation of Stocking Hall, the demolition and replacement of the extension, with the construction of a new 79,000 square foot laboratory building and a new 23,000 square foot dairy plant.
The renovated portions of Stocking Hall house offices and teaching laboratories for food chemistry, microbiology, and engineering. The addition includes advanced research laboratories, a dairy plant, a teaching winery and lecture and meeting space.
One of the key design challenges of the project was to successfully relate the new addition to the existing Stocking Hall, a 1921 Beaux Arts structure.
The main body of the addition is set away from Stocking Hall and linked with a transparent bridge and lobby. It is also set back from the street and the north face of Stocking Hall to create a forecourt for the complex.
At its eastern end, a glazed staircase, masonry tower and glazed dairy plant step forward to align with Stocking Hall and frame the forecourt. The new addition acts as a counterpoint to Stocking Hall through its contemporary choice of materials yet maintains a complimentary scale relationship though its design order.
The Beaux Arts base, middle and top vocabulary of Stocking Hall is carried through and aligned with similar demarcations in the façade of the addition. Rather than using masonry, the base and middle of the addition are glazed to maximize transparency and day lighting. The base of the addition is a simple glazed gallery while the middle contains two story high vertical fins which relate to the giant order pilasters of Stocking Hall.
The top of the addition is clad in masonry with punched windows whose projecting frame relates to the roof dormers of Stocking Hall. In keeping with the University’s focus on reducing the overall greenhouse gas emissions for the campus, the project incorporates a broad array of sustainable design elements and is designed to achieve a Gold LEED Certification from the US Green Building Council.