INTERNATIONAL ARCHITECTURE AWARDS 2015
GERMAN ARCHITECTS AT BMW SELECT THE PRESTIGIOUS INTERNATIONAL ARCHITECTURE AWARDS FOR 2015
Award Winning Buildings and Urban Planning Projects to Be Exhibited at the 3rd Chicago Architecture Biennial this November.
DUBLIN, IRELAND (July 7, 2015) — The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies have awarded over 60 new buildings, commercial and institutional developments, landscape architecture, and urban planning projects from 26 nations for The International Architecture Awards for 2015.
Hundreds of submissions were received for this year’s annual Global Awards Program from architecture firms from across Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, and the Americas--each hoping to pick up a coveted International Architecture Award.
Schemes by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture, Santiago Calatrava, Office of Metropolitan Architecture OMA/Ole Scheeran, 3XN, Kohn Pedersen Fox, Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP., Henning Larsen Architects, ingenhoven architects GmbH., WEISS/ MANFREDI , Mecanoo, Dominique Perrault Architecture, Jakob + MacFarlane, Aedas, and Dominique Coulon et associés were among those shortlisted for the 2015 International Architecture Awards.
This program, the most prestigious in the world, honors new skyscrapers, commercial buildings, urban plans, private residences, and real estate projects that achieve a high standard of excellence in design, construction, planning, and sustainability and promote the best practice in all types of real estate development for the private and public sectors, including new skyscrapers, high rises, corporate and institutional buildings, commercial projects, city planning, restorations and adaptive reuse, religious and civic buildings, and interiors.
“From a diverse and exemplar quality of new submissions, the German Jury in Munich selected over 60 outstanding projects, each speak to new values: Form is no longer to be celebrated for its own sake andarchitecture in its greatest expression must positively impact institutions, strengthen communities, act sustainably and resiliently, and spark optimism, curiosity, and generosity in the human spirit,” states Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, Museum President, The Chicago Athenaeum.
“The finalists span the globe, from South America and North America to Europe and Asia, and provide a unique insight into world-wide construction, investment, and design trends. The innovative spirit of these projects sets them apart from developments being built all over the globe. Our award winners show it is possible to build exceptional new developments that are profitable, sustainable and desirable places to live, work, and be inspired.”
This year’s selected buildings were from 26 nations including: Austria, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Iran, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Lebanon, Mexico, New Zealand, People’s Republic of China, Slovakia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, The Netherlands, Turkey, Vietnam, United Arab Emirates, and The United States.
The 2015 Jury was held at BMW AG headquarters in Munich, Germany and consisted of the following architects, designers, and architecture journalists and critics:
• Claudia Donà, Design Critic and Journalist, Milan, Italy
• Thomas Herzog, Thomas Herzog Architekten, Munich, Germany
• Oliver Herwig, Journalist for Design and Architecture, Munich, Germany
• Olga Ritter, Ritter Jockisch Architekten, Munich, Germany
• Hannes Ziesler, BMW AG., Munich, Germany
• Maximilian Danner, BMW AG., Munich, Germany
The awarded projects for 2015 are:
1. LIBERTY PLACE , Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2013 by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp
2. CORUJAS BUILDING, São Paulo, Brazil, 2012 by FGMF Arquitetos
3. PS313Q, Sunnyside, Queens, New York, USA. 2014 by Macrae-Gibson Architects
4. VILLA LAMBDA , Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by Mercurio Design Lab S.R.L.
5. NURSERY SCHOOL IN HARO, Pamplona, Spain, 2013 by Taller Básico de Arquitectura
6. DEVON BOATHOUSE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA, 2014 by Elliott + Associates Architects
7. LA PEDEVILLA, Enneberg, Val Badia, Italy, 2013 by Pedevilla Architects
8. PARIS MONTMARTRE MIXED USES, Paris, France, 2013 by Babin+Renaud Architects
9. THE QUEEN'S TERMINAL, TERMINAL 2. LONDON HEATHROW AIRPORT Heathrow, Great Britain, 2014 by luis vidal + architects
10. INNSIDE HOTEL, Berlin, Germany, 2014 by nps tchoban voss
11. A SPACIAL EXPERIENCE - LET THERE BE ROCK, Rheintal, Austria, 2014
12. GARDENHOUSE.REFUGIUM. LABORATORIUM.KLAUSUR, Steyr, Austria, 2014 by Hertl.Architekten ZT GmbH
13. SOOGOOK VILLAGE, Seoul, South Korea, 2013 by op'us architects
14. WEST KOWLOON LYRIC THEATRE, Kowloon, Hong Kong, SAR by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners
15. THE TERRACE HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by Formwerkz Architects
16. SEVILLE CONGRESS CENTRE, Sevilla, Spain, 2014 by Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra. Architect
17. THE INTERLACE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore by Office of Metropolitan Architecture OMA/Ole Scheeran
18. TEMPORARY TEMPLE, Hooghly, West Bengal, India, 2014 by Abin Design Studio
19. BLUE PLANET, Kastrup, Denmark, 2013 by 3XN
20. PURDUE UNIVERSITY FRANCE A. CORDOVA SPORTS RECREATIONAL CENTER, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA 2013 by Moody Nolan
21. MUSEUM OF CIVILIZATIONS, Beirut, Lebanon, 2014 by GM Architects Co.
22. THE REY JUAN CARLOS HOSPITAL, Móstoles, Madrid, Spain, 2012 by Rafael de La-Hoz Arquitectos
23. MOESGAARD MUSEUM, Aarhus, Denmark, 2015 by Henning Larsen Architects
24. EACHWAY CREATIVE INDUSTRIAL PARK, Shenzhen, China, 2012 by GL Studio/Shenzhen University Institute of Architecture Design & Research
25. TIJANIN RIVERSIDE 66, Tianjin, China, 2014 by Kohn Pedersen Fox
26. HEART OF LAKE, Xiamen, China, 2103 by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, LLP.
27. SYLVAN THEATER AT THE WASHINGTON MONUMENT, Washington, D.C., USA, 2018 by WEISS/MANFREDI and OLIN
28. SHULMAN HOUSE AND STUDIO, Los Angeles, California, USA, 2014 by Lorcan O'Herlihy Architects
29. TERRACED ORCHARD HOUSE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2014 by CHANG Architects
30. PINE GALLERY, Mito, Ibaraki, Japan, 2013 by Sakaushi Taku Architects' Office / O.F.D.A. associates
31. LIBRARY OF BIRMINGHAM, Birmingham, West Midlands, Great Britain, 2013 by Mecanoo
32. LANSERHOF TEGERNSEE, Marienstein, Waakirchen, Germany, 2014 by ingenhoven architects GmbH
33. SOCIAL HOUSING IN VALLECAS, Madrid, Spain, 2012 by Guillermo Vázquez Consuegra. Architect
34. LEE KONG CHIAN SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2013 by LOOK Architects Pte Ltd.
35. ELEVATED PARK CHAPULTEPEC, Mexico City, Mexico, 2014 by FRENTE arquitectura, RVDG urbanismo, and ECOstudio XV
36. SHIRASU, Kagoshima, Japan, 2013 by ARAY Architecture
37. SHAMS MONUMENT, Khoy, West Ajarbaiejan Province, Iran, 2013 by BNS (Bahambar Novin Saz)
38. LUNE DE SANG SHED 1, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
39. LUNE DE SANG SHED 2, Northern Tablelands, New South Wales, Australia, 2012 by CHROFI
40. STONE HOUSE, Tarro, New South Wales, Australia, 2013 by CHROFI
41. SDU UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN DENMARK, CAMPUS KOLDING, Kolding, Denmark, 2012-2014 by Henning Larsen Architects
42. APARTMENT HOUSE HEILIGENSTOCK, Wiesbaden, Germany, 2014 by CHRIST.CHRIST. associated architects
43. FACULTY OF FINE ARTS, UNIVERSITY OF LA LAGUNA, La Laguna, Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain, 2014 by gpy arquitectos
44. SWIMMING POOL EXTENSION IN BAGNEUX, Bagneux, Southern Suburbs of Paris, France, 2014 by Dominique Coulon et associés
45. MULTICULTURAL CENTRE IN ISBERGUE, Isbergues, France, 2013 by Dominique Coulon et associés
46. HENDERSON-HOPKINS SCHOOL, Baltimore, Maryland, 2014 by Rogers Partners Architects+Urban Designers
47. FARMING KINDERGARTEN, Biên Hòa, Dong Nai, Vietnam, 2013 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
48. SELÇUK ECZA HEADQUARTERS, İstanbul, Turkey, 2012 by Tabanlıoğlu Architects
49. FLORIDA POLYTECHNIC INNOVATION, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BUILDING, Lakeland, Florida, USA, 2014 by Santiago Calatrava/ Festina Lente LLC.
50. DUN LAOGHAIRE SENIOR COLLEGE, Dublin, Ireland, 2013 by McCullough Mulvin Architects
51. KING'S CROSS STATION, London, Great Britain, 2012 by John McAslan + Partners
52. LH VOL. 01, Slovakia, 2012 by deRaxa architects
53. SON LA RESTAURANT, Son La, Son La, Vietnam, 2014 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
54. HOUSE FOR TREES, Tan Binh District, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 2014 by Vo Trong Nghia Architects
55. SHENZHEN NORTH RAILWAY STATION, Shenzhen, China, 2012 by GL Studio/Shenzhen University Institute of Architecture Design & Research
56. TIMBER DENTISTRY, Minoo, Osaka Prefecture, Japan, 2014 by Kohki Hiranuma Architect & Associates
57. RESIDENCE OF ART, Dallas, Texas, 2012 by Overland Partners
58. HOTEL ATLANTIC, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 2013 by Adrian Smith + Gordan Gill Architecture
59. THE ROCHESTER, Singapore, Republic of Singapore, 2012 by Tange Associates
60. ALBI GRAND THEATRE, Albi, France, 2014 by Dominique Perrault Architecture
61. EURONEWS HEADQUARTERS, Paris, France, 2014, by Jakob + MacFarlane
62. THE FORUM, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2013 by Aedas
63. WATER PARK, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2014 by Aedas
64. EXPRESS RAIL LINK WEST KOWLOON TERMINUS, Hong, Kong, SAR, 2015 by Aedas
65. IZMIR CENTER OF ARCHITECTURE, Izmir, Turkey, 2012 by the Chamber of Turkish Architects-Izmur Branch
All buildings and urban planning projects can be viewed at www.europeanarch.eu
This elite group of buildings and urban planning projects selected by the jury will be premiered at the 3rd Chicago Architecture Biennial this November.
The exhibition is entitled The City and the World and combines the The International Architecture Awards 2015 with The American Architecture Awards 2015.
After Chicago, the exhibition is scheduled to travel in Europe, opening at The European Centre’s Contemporary Space Athens in Athens, Greece in 2016.
NOTE TO REPORTERS AND EDITORS: Photos of the 2015 International Architecture Awards are available for download.
For more details on the award and previous winners, visit The European Centre’s website at www.europeanarch.eu
The Chicago Athenaeum (www.chi-athenaeum.org) is a global nonprofit education and research institute supported by its members. Its mission is to provide public education about the significance of architecture and design and how those disciplines can have a positive effect on the human environment.
The International Architecture Awards ©2015 by The Chicago Athenaeum and The European Center together with Metropolitan Arts Press Ltd.