PHOENIX ARCHITECTS SELECT 60 NEW BUILDINGS AND URBAN PLANNING PROJECTS AS THE BEST 2015 ARCHITECTURAL DESIGN IN THE UNITED STATES
Awarded Projects to be Exhibited at the 3rd Chicago Architecture Biennial and Travel to Ismir, Turkey, Athens, Greece, and to other Museums in Europe
“America’s most prominent architecture firms have all made the grade and show why the United States architectural talent and ambition is famed around the world.”The American Architecture Awards are awarded to U.S. architects who have made the biggest contribution to the evolution of American architecture in a given year,” states Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, President, The Chicago Athenaeum.
“Every one of the sixty winning buildings illustrate why great architecture is so valuable. It has the power to delight, inspire and comfort us at all stages of our lives; to improve humanity’s potential, to provide our cities with decent homes and affordable alternatives, and to create a sensitive and uplifting urban and rural environment that immeasurably improves the lives and well-being of all those who encounter them.”
“The winning projects are each surprising new additions to their urban and rural locations—but their stand-out common quality is their exceptionally—executed crafted detail. From the projects selected this year, every detail on every building, both internally and externally, is exquisitely refined.”
“Not only are these the best new buildings in the country today, they are game-changers that other architects, clients, and local authorities should aspire to. This year’s jury of Phoenix architects had an unenviable task,” Narkiewicz-Laine continues.
The 60 awarded American projects for 2015 are:
18. NATIONAL SEPTEMBER 11 MEMORIAL MUSEUM, New York, New York, 2014 by Davis Brody Bond
19. WINDHOVER CONTEMPLATIVE CENTER AT STANFORD UNIVERSITY, San Francisco California, 2014 by Aidlin Darling Design
20. MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE NEW SQUASH FACILITY, Middlebury, Vermont, 2013 by ARC/ Architectural Resources Cambridge
21. SAINT ELIZABETHS EAST GATEWAY PAVILION, Washington, DC, 2013 by Davis Brody Bond
22. QUONOCHONTAUG HOUSE, Charlestown, Rhode Island, 2014 by Bernheimer Architecture PLLC.
23. ST. HILDA’S & ST. HUGH’S SCHOOL, Bridgehampton, New York, 2014-by Murphy Burnham & Buttrick Architects
24. UNITED STATES COURTHOUSE SALT LAKE CITY, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2014 by Thomas Phifer and Partners
25. ASPEN ART MUSEUM, Aspen, Colorado, 2014 by Shigeru Ban Architects
26. MEYER RESIDENCE, Boston, Massachusetts, 2014 by Studio Luz Architects, Ltd.
27. GHOST GALLERY, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2013 by Elliott + Associates Architects
28. MONMOUTH BATTLEFIELD STATE PARK VISITOR CENTER, Manalapan, New Jersey, 2013 by ikon.5 architects
29. NOAA SOUTHWEST FISHERIES SCIENCE CENTER, La Jolla, California, 2013 by Gould Evans
30. GREEN HOUSE, Birmingham, Westport, Connecticut, 2014 by Roger Ferris + Partners
31. SCHINDLER ELEVATOR CORPORATION U.S. HEADQUARTERS, Morristown, New Jersey, 2013 by ikon.5 architects
32. CRESCENT PARK, New Orleans, Louisiana, 2014 by Eskew+Dumez+Ripple
33. THE TERRACE AT THE CALIFORNIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, San Francisco, California, 2014 by Mark Cavagnero Associates
34. COLLABORATIVE LIFE SCIENCES BUILDING AND SKOURTES TOWER, Portland, Oregon, 2014 by CO Architects
35. PROYECTO CLAMOR DE PAZ, Guaimaca, Honduras, 2014 by Paul Lukez Architecture
36. EAST REGIONAL REGIONAL CHILLED WATER PLANT, Columbus, Ohio, 2014 by Leers Weinzapfel Associates
37. EAST END HOUSE, Long Island, New York, 2013 by Christoff:Finio Architecture Architecture Workshop
38. SHED STORE AND CAFE, San Francisco, California, 2013 by Jensen Architects
39. SKYHAUS, San Francisco, California, 2014 by Aidlin Darling Design
40. TURNER RESIDENCE, Larkspur, California, 2013 by Jensen Architects
41. GUGGENHEIM HELSINKI, Helsinki, Finland, 2014 by XTEN Architecture
42. ANDERSON COLLECTION AT STANFORD UNIVERSITY, Stanford, California, 2014 by Ennead Architects LLP.
43. COLUMBIA BOULEVARD WASTEWATER TREATMENT SUPPORT FACILITY, Portland, Oregon, 2013 by Skylab Architecture
44. PHOTOGRAPHER’S LOFT, New York, New York, 2014 by Desai Chia Architecture PC.
45. BRIGHTON PARK PAVILION, Brighton, Massachusetts, 2014 by Touloukian Touloukian Inc.
46. WELLINGTON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Belmont, Massachusetts, 2013 by Jonathan Levi Architects
47. WALDORF ASTORIA BEIJING, Beijing, China, 2014 by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
48. SONGPA MICRO-HOUSING, Seoul, South Korea, 2014 by SsD
49. GLASS BUTTERFLY, Holbaek, Denmark, 2013 by Form4 Architecture
50. CORNELL UNIVERSITY EAST SIBLEY HALL, Ithaca, New York, 2014 by LevenBetts
51. FIELD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Weston, Massachusetts, 2014 by Jonathan Levi Architects
52. 4 SPRINGS LANE, Rappahannock County, Virginia, 2013 by Robert M. Gurney Architect
53. bm MODULAR ONE, Bethesda, Maryland, 2013 by Robert M. Gurney Architect
54. TRED AVON RIVER HOUSE, Easton, Maryland, 2013 by Robert M. Gurney Architect
55. JEWELS OF SALZBURG, Salzburg, Austria, 2015 by Hariri & Hariri Architecture
56. VITRA BALNEÁRIO CAMBORIÚ, Santa Catarina, Brazil, 2014 by Pininfarina of America
57. AMERICAN PHYSICAL SOCIETY EDITORIAL HEADQUARTERS, Ridge, New York, 2014 by Marvel Architects
58. FLORIDA POLYTECHNIC INNOVATION, SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BUILDING, Lakeland, Florida, 2014 by Santiago Calatrava/Festina Lente LLC.
59. THE STACK, New York, New York, 2014 by Gluck+
60. MAUMELLE ENVIRONMENTAL TRAILHEAD COMPLEX, Little Rock, Arkansas, 2013 by UA Community Design Center